Dominion Energy Recognizes October as Energy Action Month With Ways Customers Can Save
A few small changes can make an impact on energy savings...
CAYCE, S.C. (Oct. 1, 2020) – In observance of National Energy Action Month, Dominion Energy South Carolina encourages customers to make their homes and businesses more energy efficient with easy, do-it-yourself tips – just in time as cooler weather approaches.
“A few small changes can make an impact on energy savings,” said Ginger Greenway, Dominion Energy South Carolina manager of Energy Information Services. “We are committed to helping our customers find ways to be energy wise and save money through the programs and tips offered on our EnergyWise website. National Energy Action Month in October is the perfect time to get started.”
Follow these four easy tips to prepare for the heating season:
- Set the thermostat at 68 degrees or lower during colder months. Each degree above 68 can significantly increase your heating bill.
- Install a smart thermostat that can be programmed to lower the temperature even further than 68 degrees overnight or while no one is at home. Make sure the thermostat is installed properly and is compatible with the heating and cooling unit.
- Caulk, seal and weather-strip around all seams, cracks, and openings – especially exterior doors and windows – to protect the home from drafts. Check air filters monthly and change them when dirty. Also, check ductwork for leaks and tears.
- Have the central heating and cooling system serviced annually by a professional. This can extend the life of the system while maintaining optimum efficiency.
To help eligible residential electric customers decrease energy use, Dominion Energy has the following programs:
- Virtual Home Energy Check up offers a free consultation with an energy expert by video chat or telephone to help identify ways to improve a home’s energy efficiency. Customers who schedule a consultation will receive a free LED light bulb kit.
- EnergyWise Online Savings Store is offering 50% off its entire line of Energy Star-certified products like LED light bulbs, smart lighting, smart thermostats, advanced power strips and more in October. •
- Appliance Recycling Program enables customers to receive $50 cash back and free no-contact pickup when recycling eligible full-sized refrigerators or freezers. No-contact pickup is available for units inside the home or units left outside of the home (garage, driveway, porch, etc.)
- Heating & Cooling Equipment Program allows customers to receive rebates up to $500 toward the cost of purchasing and installing new Energy Star-qualified central air conditioning systems and heat pumps, as well as making ductwork improvements in existing residences.
Dominion Energy also offers energy-saving programs for eligible small business, commercial or industrial electric customers:
- Small Business Energy Solutions provides discounts to eligible small businesses for energy-efficient refrigeration and LED lighting upgrades, including a free on-site energy analysis and financial incentives up to 90% (up to $6,000). This is available to small business and nonprofit customers with five or fewer Dominion Energy electric accounts and an annual energy use of 350,000 kilowatt-hours or less.
- EnergyWise for Your Business provides financial incentives to reduce the upfront costs of energy-efficiency improvements.
To learn more about programs, including customer eligibility and restrictions, as well as tips on how to be more energy wise, visit DominionEnergySC.com/EnergyWise or call 877-510-7234.
About Dominion Energy
More than 7 million customers in 20 states energize their homes and businesses with electricity or natural gas from Dominion Energy (NYSE: D), headquartered in Richmond, Va. The company is committed to sustainable, reliable, affordable and safe energy and to achieving net zero carbon dioxide and methane emissions from its power generation and gas infrastructure operations by 2050. Please visit DominionEnergy.com to learn more.