RICHMOND, Va. – Dominion Virginia Power is prepared for a winter storm expected to move through much of Virginia Monday afternoon into Tuesday morning. Crews are ready to respond to outages, trucks are stocked, and additional resources are available if needed.
As Dominion prepares for what Mother Nature may bring our way, we also urge our customers to do the same. We offer the following advice before the storm:
- Establish an online “Manage Your Account” (MYA) with Dominion at https://www.dom.com/ and update it with your telephone number, including your cell phone number. This will ensure the accurate reporting of your power outage.
- Sign up to receive text messages from Dominion. Text DOM to 898366 from any mobile device.
- Stay in touch through Dominion’s Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/DomVAPower, and Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dominionvirginiapower. Both are good sources of information and updates throughout the storm event.
- Communicate with family and friends about emergency plans in the event of extended outages.
- Make sure you have a battery-operated radio, multiple flashlights, a battery-operated clock, and extra batteries.
- Turn off and unplug any non-essential electrical equipment in your home.
- Make sure all prescription medications are filled.
- Have a full tank of gas in your car.
- If you have pets, please make sure you have provided for them as well.
In the event of power outages, contact us using any mobile device at www.dom.com or call our toll-free number at 866-DOM-HELP.
Dominion is also preparing for record-setting extreme cold that will come at the end of this week. The safety and health of our customers and our colleagues who must work outdoors in this weather are at the forefront of our minds.
Dominion also reminds its customers to stay away from downed wires. While some wires may not be electric lines, it is best to stay at least 30 feet back from downed wires and report these locations by calling (866-DOM-HELP). Follow prompts to speak with a representative in order to provide accurate, exact information to help direct crews to these locations.
Dominion is one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy, with a portfolio of approximately 24,600 megawatts of generation, 12,400 miles of natural gas transmission, gathering and storage pipeline, and 6,455 miles of electric transmission lines. Dominion operates one of the nation's largest natural gas storage systems with 949 billion cubic feet of storage capacity and serves utility and retail energy customers in 12 states. For more information about Dominion, visit the company's website at https://www.dom.com/.
For further information: Janell Hancock, (804) 771-6115, Janell.Hancock@dom.com,
Chuck Penn, (703) 796-9308, Charles.Penn@dom.com,
Bonita Harris, (757) 857-2700, Bonita.B.Harris@dom.com