Dominion Offers No-Cost, Low-Cost Tips for Saving Money on Energy Bills
RICHMOND, Va., June 7, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- With the arrival of the summer season and the return of hot, humid weather, Dominion Virginia Power is encouraging customers to take no-cost and low-cost steps to reduce their energy use and lower their electric bills.
"Renters as well as homeowners can save on their electric bills," said Ken Barker, Dominion vice president of customer solutions and energy conservation. "These are easy and effective measures to help customers use energy wisely and reduce their costs." View Dominion's videos on tips for saving energy in the summer at: www.dom.com/about/conservation/summer-tips.jsp.
Here are five no-cost tips and five low-cost tips for saving energy and money.
- Raise the thermostat setting to 78 degrees to recognize savings of 1 percent or more on your monthly electric bill for each increase of one degree.
- Change the direction of a ceiling fan so that the air blows downward in the summer. A ceiling fan uses less power than air conditioning and increases comfort, particularly when used in conjunction with raising the thermostat. It can make the room feel 10 degrees cooler.
- Close drapes during the hottest times of the day to block heat from entering the home. Sunny windows account for a significant amount of unwanted heat and make air conditioners work much harder.
- Schedule activities that require hot water -- such as washing dishes or clothes -- for the early morning or late evening. This will result in less heat and humidity being added to your home.
- Turn off unnecessary lights. Incandescent bulbs add to the heat in the home.
- Replace old incandescent lights with compact fluorescent lights. CFLs use less power, last longer and generate less heat. To help customers save money on purchasing CFLs, Dominion offers an instant discount for buying CFLs at participating retailers. Information on Dominion's lighting program in Virginia is available at www.dom.com/dominion-virginia-power/customer-service/energy-conservation/home-lighting.jsp.
- Clean or replace air conditioning filters monthly to allow the system to run more efficiently.
- Install weather stripping and caulk to keep hot air and insects out of the home in the summer, as well as cold air out in the winter.
- Install a programmable thermostat to adjust the thermostat automatically at times when no one is home.
- Install heat control film to reduce heat gain through picture windows or other windows on which you do not want to draw the shades or curtains.
Additional tips and videos on conserving energy are available on-line at: www.dom.com/about/conservation/index.jsp.
Dominion is one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy, with a portfolio of approximately 28,200 megawatts of generation. Dominion operates the nation's largest natural gas storage system and serves retail energy customers in 15 states. For more information about Dominion, visit the company's Web site at www.dom.com.
Follow us on Twitter at: http://www.twitter.com/DomVAPower