Dominion Contributes More Than $200,000 To Help Victims Of Hurricane Irene
RICHMOND, Va. – The Dominion Foundation, the philanthropic arm of Dominion Resources Inc., is contributing $210,000 to organizations assisting Hurricane Irene victims in Virginia, North Carolina, Maryland and Connecticut.
“For many families, Hurricane Irene destroyed or severely damaged their homes,” said Virginia M. Board, president of The Dominion Foundation. “Our community organizations are stepping up to provide assistance, but they, too, need help. As neighbors, we are pitching in.”
Dominion provides electric service to more than 2.4 million customers in Virginia and North Carolina. The company also owns the Dominion Cove Point liquefied natural gas (LNG) facility on the Chesapeake Bay in Calvert County, Md., and the Millstone Power Station in Waterford, Ct.
The Dominion Foundation (www.DomFoundation.org) is providing the following grants to help in specific geographical areas, including $120,000 to the American Red Cross to be shared by chapters in three states:
- $50,000 to the American Red Cross, Virginia Capital Region, which serves residents in Central Virginia, including the Greater Richmond area, Colonial Heights, Hopewell, Petersburg and the counties of Dinwiddie, Goochland, New Kent, Powhatan, Prince George and Sussex.
- $50,000 to the American Red Cross, Coastal Virginia Chapter, which serves residents in Hampton, Newport News, Smithfield, Tappahannock, Williamsburg and the counties of Charles City, Essex, Isle of Wight, James City, King and Queen, King William, Lancaster, Matthews, Middlesex, Northumberland, Poquoson, Richmond, Surry, Westmoreland and York.
- $50,000 to the Virginia Disaster Relief Fund, a newly formed, state-managed fund established by Gov. Bob McDonnell to help Virginia residents impacted by Irene.
- $20,000 to the North Carolina Disaster Relief Fund, earmarked to assist residents of the northeastern part of the state.
- $15,000 to Richmond-based FeedMore, formerly the Central Virginia Food Bank.
- $10,000 to the American Red Cross, Southern Maryland Chapter, which serves residents in Calvert, Charles and St. Mary’s counties.
- $10,000 to chapters of the American Red Cross to help Connecticut residents impacted by severe weather.
- $5,000 to the North Carolina Baptist State Convention, which is providing relief support in Martin County and Williamston.
Dominion (NYSE:D) is one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy, with a portfolio of approximately 28,200 megawatts of generation. Dominion operates the nation's largest natural gas storage system and serves retail energy customers in 15 states. For more information about Dominion, visit the company's website at www.dom.com.
Follow us on Twitter at: http://www.twitter.com/DomVAPower. ‘Like’ us on our Facebook page by searching, keyword: Dominion Virginia Power.